For more detailed information, download the documentation listed above.
Product Description: MC58000
The Magellan® Family of Motion Processors provides high-performance chip-based motion control for scientific, automation, industrial, and robotic applications. Available in 1, 2, 3, and 4-axis versions, these flexible, programmable devices control DC brush, brushless DC, microstepping, and pulse and direction motors.
Magellan Motion Processors are complete motion controllers requiring only an external amplifier to be functional. They are driven by a host using either an 8 or 16-bit parallel bus, CANbus 2.0B, or an asynchronous serial port. User selectable profiling modes include S-curve, trapezoidal, velocity contouring and electronic gearing. Servo loop compensation utilizes a full 32-bit position error, PID with velocity and acceleration feedforward, integration limit, and dual bi-quad filters for sophisticated control of complex loads.
With over 130 commands, the Magellan Motion Processors provide a flexible and powerful instruction set to initialize and control the motion application, monitor ongoing performance, and synchronize overall machine behavior. Working with the Magellan devices, PMD’s powerful Pro-Motion® GUI makes it easy to graph and analyze system performance, while C-Motion® allows you to develop your own application using C/C++.
Two versions of the Magellan are offered. The multi-motor MC58000 Series can control DC brush, brushless DC, microstepping and pulse and direction motors with motor type selectable on a software, axis by axis basis. The MC55000 Series is dedicated to pulse and direction output. Magellan Motion Processors come in a single-IC, single-axis version, or in a two-IC, multi-axis version. The IC’s are packaged in a 144-pin TQFP, and a 100-pin TQFP. These devices operate at 3.3 V.
- Available in 1, 2, 3 and 4-axis versions
- Supports DC servo, brushless DC, microstepping and pulse & direction motors
- Parallel IO, CANBus, serial point-to-point, serial multi-drop host communications
- S-curve, trapezoidal, velocity contouring, and electronic gearing Profiles
- Separately programmable acceleration and deceleration values
- Velocity and position acceleration changes on-the-fly
- Dual loop encoder input
- 6 step (hall based) and sinusoidal commutation for brushless motors
- High Speed (up to 5 M-pulses/sec) pulse & direction output
- Advanced PID filter with velocity and acceleration feedforward
- Programmable dual biquad filters
- Incremental encoder quadrature input (up to 5 MCounts/sec)
- SPI DAC output
- Parallel input for absolute encoder or resolver
- 10-bit 20 kHz PWM or 16-bit DAC motor control output to amplifier
- PLC-style programmable inputs and outputs
- 8 10-bit general-purpose analog inputs
- Two-directional limit switches, index input, and home indicator per axis
- Axis settled indicator, tracking window and automatic motion error detection
- Single-IC (single axis) or two-IC (multi-axis) versions
- Packaged in 144-pin and 100-pin TQFP (thin quad flat pack) 3.3 V operation