This e-book is a collection of manufacturing automation and robotics articles presented by Performance Motion Devices (PMD).
Article by Emmet Cole, contributing editor, Association for Advancing Automation (A3)
Robotics are becoming more important and manufacturers are recognizing their growing role in many different industries and applications. Six industry trends are highlighted.
External factors, from the pandemic to geopolitical insecurities and supply chain issues, have had an outsize impact on the industrial robotics sector in recent years. At the same time, internal factors, such as technological and usability advancements also exert influence on industrial robot development and adoption. There’s a lot of information to sift through, which makes identifying the most influential trends a real challenge. However, there are six trends industry experts are paying particular attention to.
1. Labor and demographics
Labor shortages are “far and away, the number one trend” driving industrial automation adoption.
2. Digitalization drives
The pandemic accelerated both automation adoption and the digital transformation across the industrial sector.
3. Cobot and mobile robot use increasing
Collaborative robots remain the fastest growing segment of the industrial robotics sector.
4. Reshoring initiatives
Labor costs overseas are rising quickly, while at the same time, the cost of automation is dropping significantly.
5. Robots are becoming more usable
The increasing usability of industrial robot systems makes it easier than ever for companies of all sizes and technical skill levels to deploy automation.
6. Increased focus on sustainability
There is growing concern around sustainability and climate issues among robot manufacturers and their customers.
Robotics Spring 2023 Edition Contents
- Six Industrial Robotics Trends for 2023 by Emmet Cole
- Logistics Industry | Fully Autonomous RFID-based Inventory System Uses OMRON Mobile Robots from OMRON
- AMRs Help Eliminate Manual Processes in Autonomous RFID Inventory System by Kyle O'Brien
- Taking Robotics Automation Out of the Building With AGVs by Matt Wade
- World-class Motion Control Solutions from Performance Motion Devices
- Force Control in Actuators and Robot End Effectors by Performance Motion Devices
- Robotic Welding System Enables More Welding Applications for Collaborative Robots by Josh Pawley
- Improving Usability is Growing Trend in Industrial Robotics by Emmet Cole
- Successfully Implementing Robots in an Unpredictable Future by Chris Vavra
Other PMD resources you may be interested in:
- Motion Kinematics
- Robotics in Automation: Working Arm-in-Arm with Humans
- Introducing ION/CME N-Series Digital Drives - On-demand
- Feedforward in Motion Control - Vital for Improving Positioning Accuracy
- Medical Robotics and the Role of Ultra-Precise Motion Control - On-demand